I am working right now on some blog posts on a full dmcrypt/LUKS-encryption of Laptop SSDs. Whilst experimenting I stumbled across the following problem:
Normally, you would open an encrypted device by
cryptsetup open /dev/YourDevice cr-YourMapperLabel
(You have to replace the device-names and the mapper-labels by your expressions, of course). You would close the device by
cryptsetup close cr-YourMapperLabel
In my case I had created a test device “/dev/sdg3”; the mapper label was “cr-sg3”. However, whenever I tried to close this special crypto-device I got the following message:
mytux:~ # cryptsetup close cr-g3 Device cr-g3 is still in use.
Ops, had I forgotten a mount or was something operating on the filesystem inside cr-sg3 still? Unfortunately, lsof did not show anything. No process seemed to block the device …
mytux:~ # lsof /dev/mapper/cr-g3 lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1111/gvfs Output information may be incomplete.
mytux:~ # dmsetup info -C Name Maj Min Stat Open Targ Event UUID .... cr-g3 254 16 L--w 2 1 0 CRYPT-LUKS1-Some_UUID_Info-cr-g3 ....
Note the “2” in the Open column. Clearly, there was a count of 2 of “something” that had a firm grip on the device. I also tried
mytux:~ # dmsetup remove -f cr-g3 device-mapper: remove ioctl on cr-g3 failed: Device or resource busy Command failed
After this trial the dmsetup table even showed an error:
mytux:~ # dmsetup table ... cr-g3: 0 218034943 error ...
What the hack? On the Internet I found numerous messages related to similar experiences – but no real solution.
Whatever problems these guys had – I tested with other quickly created encrypted filesystems. In most cases I had no problems to close them again. It took me a while to figure out that the cause of my problems was LVM2! Stupid me! Actually, I had defined a LVM volume group “vg1” inside the encrypted partition – on purpose. The related volumes could, of course, be seen in the “/dev/mapper/” directory
mytux:~ # la /dev/mapper total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 440 Nov 8 15:53 . drwxr-xr-x 28 root root 12360 Nov 8 15:53 .. crw------- 1 root root 10, 236 Nov 8 15:46 control lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 8 16:12 cr-g3 -> ../dm-16 ... lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 8 15:54 vg1-lvroot -> ../dm-17 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 8 15:53 vg1-lvswap -> ../dm-18 ...
and also in “dmsetup”
mytux:~ # dmsetup info -C Name Maj Min Stat Open Targ Event UUID .... vg1-lvswap 254 18 L--w 0 1 0 LVM-Some_UUID_Info vg1-lvroot 254 17 L--w 0 1 0 LVM-Some_UUID_Info .... cr-g3 254 16 L--w 2 1 0 CRYPT-LUKS1-Some_UUID_Info-cr-g3 ....
So do not let yourself get confused by the fact that “lsof” may not help you to detect processes which access the crypto devices in question! It may be the kernel (with its LVM component) itself! (triggered by udev …). This problem will always appear when you work with LVM on top of LUKS. It also explained the count of 2. The solution was simple afterwards:
mytux:~ # vgchange -a n vg1 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg1" now active mytux:~ # cryptsetup close cr-g3 mytux:~ #
Always remember to explicitly deactivate LVM volume groups that may exist on LUKS encrypted partitions before closing the crypto-device! Have a look with the commands “lvs” or “vgdisplay” first!
The last days I have read a bit more on crypto-partitions and volumes on the Internet. I came across an article which describes the deactivation of the volume groups before closing the crypto-device clearly and explicitly: